Thursday, September 24, 2009

Baskets Nightmare Turned Into A Dream

One of my husband’s co-workers married recently. For months leading up to the wedding day, I was completely clueless about what an appropriate gift would be. I wanted something unique that they would truly enjoy; a traditional toaster just wouldn’t cut it. I wanted our gift to really demonstrate how thrilled we were for them.

In my quest, I visited a dozen stores and picked through a ton of toasters, bed sheets, and towels. Nothing seemed to say “unique” or “surprise.” They all said “ordinary.” I gave up and decided to try and find something online. I found some interesting suggestions, a gift basket of chocolates, or a bottle of wine. This grew into an idea of making my own gift, a wine gift basket!

It was the perfect idea. Everybody loves a good bottle of wine and it sets the perfect mood for a night of romance. I used a picnic basket and purchased two wine glasses and two bottles of wine. I also included a corkscrew and charms for the glasses. While doing this I realized what is wine without cheese, so I picked up a few special cheeses and crackers.

I could not believe how simple this was to put together. You should have seen my husbands face when he saw my creation. He thought I had spent a pretty penny and bought this extravagant gift. You can imagine how surprised he was when I confessed my creative talents to him. He was ready to finance my own little shop. All the same, I was proud of my work and how little energy it actually took.

After attending the wedding my husband and I have became fast friends with the couple. They absolutely loved the gift and said it was a very nice item to take on their honeymoon with them. They hope to one day use the picnic basket to take their children on picnics in the park. I knew I loved their gift, but I never imagined how much use they would get out of it. That was just a nice surprise.

I can’t wait to be able to make more of these for my family and friends. I do not want to tell anybody about my new found love because I hope to surprise them with their own. They are so versatile that they are perfect for any adult at any stage of their live. My husband said he wants one for our next anniversary. I will have to think of something extra to add so that he is surprised. Maybe tickets to a show we can see before our picnic would be a nice addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share